1. Travel! I traveled a lot more than usual this year, and I enjoyed every trip I took. A Cake concert in San Diego. Rooftop BBQ’s (with freshly caught salmon!), amazing tacos, and a Refused concert in San Francisco. A block party, a Starbucks in disguise, and delicious German food in Seattle. Headstands, subway in heels, brews, and brunches with my dearest friends in DC. And last but not least, sushi, cabin dwelling, amazing views and new friends in Tahoe.
2. GPA! I still have a 4.0 grade point average! It’s kind of a big deal because it makes up for my complete lack of motivation to do anything meaningful with my life in my early 20′s (if you knew the back story, you’d have an “Aha” moment right about now).
3. Hormones, like whoa! I know, I know. No one wants to hear about my hormones. I totally get it. But let me tell you, they are wicked, wicked things and can blind side even the nicest of people. 2012 was the year I came to really understand what it means to be a woman (physically), and to be mother nature’s subordinate – I’ve been humbled.
4. Break-Up! My 5 1/2 year relationship came to an end in early April. It was the hardest decision I’ve ever made in my life. Fortunately, it was mutual, and one of the most peaceful partings I’ve ever had. I’m so blessed to have experienced it! We’re still great friends, and I’ve finally begun dating again. I’m having a lot of fun!
5. Published! I had another article published in WOD Talk Magazine this year. Although I haven’t really been writing CrossFit related content lately, it’s still a huge accomplishment to be published. I’m shooting for at least 4-5 publications for 2013, and possibly finish my children’s book?!?!
6. Faced Fears! 2012 was the year of facing fears for me. The fears ranged from very miniscule everyday stuff not really worth mentioning, to really big, anxiety attack induced stuff. I vowed to myself if I was afraid to do something, then I had to do it. One of those (big) things was standup paddleboarding in the pacific ocean. It was both a terrifying and liberating experience, and I’m going into 2013 with the exact same attitude.
7. Meditation! I developed a lot of self-discipline in the area of meditation this year. I’ve pretty much been doing it Monday through Friday in my car during my lunch break for the past 6-8 months, and although the location choice seems a little strange, it’s worked out perfectly! A lot of the positive shift in my life the past six months I believe is largely because of all the meditation. Highly, highly recommend!
8. Friendships! I’ve made a few new friends which has been a lot of fun, but I’ve also gotten a chance to enhance the quality of some of the friendships I made when I first moved back to LA. This year I got to really feel like I belong to a few different tribes, and that’s been monumental in my personal growth.
9. Work! Would you believe me if I told you that at the beginning of this year I was on the verge of getting fired?! (See #3) During that difficult time, I looked for other jobs (even had a few offers), but after much deliberation, I decided to stay. Why? Because I refused to leave on bad terms. I became determined to finish what I started. Almost a year later, I’m the happiest I’ve ever been at my job in the three years I’ve worked there. I got a promotion, received client kudos, learned how to assert myself, got on medication to properly regulate my hormones so I could “be myself” again, and I made a choice to only focus on the positive. As a result, I have drastically improved my working relationship with my former arched nemesis, which was my ultimate goal before moving on to a different company.
What did you accomplish / achieve / change / learn in 2012? Happy New Year!